Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Zeppole- Fried Italian Dessert

   Hey guys as promised I am going to share the Zeppole recipe that I made for our Italian meal the other week. These are basically a fried donut that is light and fluffy, coat in sugar or cinnamon sugar or even powdered sugar and they are to die for. This is such an easy batter/dough it looks a little funny but works so well. I googled Italian desserts and came across a video of this elderly Italian grandma making these and you know that means they are going to be perfect, I did not change them much so I will link to the video at the bottom of this page.


   A couple years ago the Great American Food Truck Race came to town and there was an Italian truck that had these amazing fried donuts that me and Hubby (then boyfriend) just loved. I had forgotten about them until I saw the results for my google search I knew that I had to try and make them. They turned out so much better than I expected for my first try.

The delicious Nona's Kitchen who had the Donuts


Zeppole - A Fried Italian Dessert

1 pack of yeast
1 ¼ cup flour
1 cup of water
½ tsp salt
Oil for frying

In a large bowl add yeast and water (warm 100-110°). Stir to dissolve the yeast and let sit until foamy.

Add flour and salt and stir until combined. It will be runny and stringy just make sure there are not a lot of lumps.


Cover and let rise 1- 1 ½ hours, until bubbly and doubled in size

As it rises, cover with plastic wrap and a tea towl 

It looks strange for a dough or batter but its perfect when
it looks like this
Heat oil to 375° you need about 3 inches in a pan, I had my cast iron skillet about half full and just had to keep flipping to get it evenly cooked.

Using a quarter cup measuring cup drop batter into the oil and fry until golden on both sides. 

The original recipe says a tablespoon, it just depends how big you want them to be. Mine were big and a tad chewy inside the way we like them, but to have a fluffier donut make them a bit smaller


my second batch got quite big and poofy
Toss in whatever sugar combination you choose and eat away. 


These don’t take much time to prepare just have to wait for it to rise. They are sooooo yummy! I would love to hear if you make them! Have a great rest of your week.

Here is thevideo link

No comments:

Post a Comment