Monday, September 1, 2014

Married Monday: Personal and Together Time



   As I sit here watching Hubby play a game on his Xbox I’m thinking how this is a good thing, that we can sit together and be together but be doing separate things.  This has not always been the case probably right until we were engaged, for some reason or another, we always had to be doing the same thing which got annoying and hard to find stuff we wanted to both do. But now it is nice to be able to do separate things together.

    When you get married it is hard to remember that it is good to still be your own person. You have your own interest, likes, dislikes and they don’t have to match your spouse’s for you to have a good marriage. There are most likely many things that are similar or you probably wouldn’t have chosen to get married.  I sometimes forget that it is ok for me to not love something that he likes. For instance I have tried and tried to play and enjoy video games but I just am not any good or do I want to try to get better, but he loves them and plays often, I do however enjoy watching him play and asking what is going on.  There is nothing wrong with that at all. And when I wanted to start writing this blog and needed help designing it he was there helping and giving me input, even though he is not the one who enjoys keeping it up or is writing it.  This is something I really like about our relationship now, without directly doing the same thing we enjoy watching the other do what they like, and can do them at the same time.

   We do many things together as well though because like I said last week marriage is a team sport and if you’re not doing anything together then you aren’t much of a team.  Sometimes I’ll ask to play whatever game he’s playing at the time and it surprises him and I try for a while to do decent, even if I’m just being used as target practice. He even helps me with some crafty projects when he feels up to it. But one thing we always love to do together is get in the kitchen and make some delicious food. Going for walks with our fur baby is also nice and we even get some of that outside air.

   There is a fine line between losing yourself in marriage and losing your marriage in yourself. There has to be a balance that both you and your spouse agree works for your relationship.  I could spend all my time doing my own thing and letting him do his but then there would be no point to being married or even living together, so while it is fine to have alone time there needs to be more together time to balance it out. Without spending time together a marriage could fall apart because one doesn’t have a clue how the other is feeling or what they are doing.

    I hope my rambling post has given you something to think about in how you spend your time as a couple. I would love to hear any feedback or just a hello, I enjoy reading comments. Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment