Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Simple Delicious Stir Fry

  Who’s ready for a recipe? I know I’m always ready for one and this couldn't be any simpler. Tuesday I threw together a Chinese (well my version) Stir Fry using some rice noodles I had in the pantry, and some chicken. 


  First I cut up some chicken breast. I used two, with the noodles it probably made about three servings. I realized this week that if you buy the big pack of chicken meat, any kind really then you pay less and it can last you most of the week, feeding two people.

   After they were cut into about ¼ inch slices I put them in a skillet with canola oil and a little sesame oil, and just let them cook. At a point you may need to drain out some of the liquid and fat so that they can brown some on the sides.



   Then I started working on my sauce, here are the ingredients that I put in it. My measurements won’t be exact. My rule of thumb is throw the main sauces in their until you think you have enough sauce for the amount your making and then start adjusting the spices to your taste.

   These should be staples in your refrigerator, no excuses even if you don’t make Chinese food ever. Soy Sauce (low sodium/light) and Sweet Chili Sauce.  This forms the base of your sauce, do remember that the sweet chili sauce can be over used and make it extremely spicy.

sweet chili sauce, ground ginger, onion powder,
soy sauce, red pepper flakes, black pepper, garlic powder



   Using this bowl as my guide, I made a tad over half of it full then made more that was about a quarter full.

   I first added 3 glubs (technical I know) of the sweet chili then enough soy sauce to make the bowl half full. Once they were in there I added enough garlic powder to cover most of the surface, then onion powder on top of that, then a good amount of ginger, and a little black pepper. This is where you would taste and adjust as needed.

   Take the package of rice noodles and soften as directed. These things can be tricky and I’ve cooked with them probably 6 times at most and this time they turned out great, usually this is not the case for me.  They are hard to get as soft as you would think they need to be, but really if you do what it says about 10 minutes in HOT water then they get as soft as you need. Then you chop them up coarsely and cook them with your meat. I would recommend fluffing them up to make sure they are separated other wise when you mix them with the meat it won’t mix evenly. I did this and still had a hard time getting them to mix nicely.

Soaking- a big bowl and a lot of water helped this time

Roughly chopped 

    As soon as everything is ready to go pour the sauce over the chicken only, let it bubble up about 30 seconds then put your noodles in, one handful at a time to make sure you have enough sauce.  I didn’t so I made another quick batch and poured it on top to make it nice and saucy. 



ta da, doesn't that look great! We ate potstickers with ours
the ones from the freezer that are easy to make and oh so good!

   From making this post I have learned a couple of things; 1. I need to start measuring and writing down my amounts of what I'm making, 2. I need to start thinking about taking better pictures, that are easier to look at and make the food look delicious. I do promise that it is sooooooo good.

   I will say this time I made my sauce too spicy so take a minute and taste as you go because it was not an easy task to finish this plate, but I kept on going because the flavor was worth the burn. Sweet Chili Sauce while sweet can sneak up on you with a lot of kick.

   I hope you are having a great week and as always I would love to hear from you so leave me a comment. Do you go out or stay in to get your Chinese (Asian) fix?

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm. Sweet chili sauce. You are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. How funny, we got them as a wedding gift and love them.

      Delete
  3. How many tablespoons to a glub?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. about 1 I would think, maybe start with two and taste to see where you like it

      Delete