Friday, November 21, 2014

Ornament Wreath DIY Tutorial

 

  Yes yes I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet and I am doing my first Christmasy post. Well typically I am a big supporter of no Christmas until Black Friday, but this year it has been so cold and I have seen snow I am way past fall and ready to get decorating! And for some reason this whole town starts very very early getting ready for Christmas, like I think we had fall stuff for about 3 weeks and it was gone most places.

   A good reason to have this one now before Black Friday is that you may find some great deals on ornaments and be able to make this for even less. Plus who doesn't want to be thinking of Christmas crafts they want while cooking food for Thanksgiving.

   I made this wreath for $9. Now I did already have a wire wreath frame which run about $4 from Hobby Lobby. You can use a foam frame if you want or any type of wreath frame that you can make ornaments stick too.  I got all the ornaments from the Dollar Tree for $1 a tube that had 5-15 in it, depending on the size. This year we will be decorating in silver and red so you will be seeing a lot of crafts with the same colors as I prep to decorate the house.

Supplies:

  • glue gun/ glue
  • 80-100 ornaments in various sizes( make sure you get some of the smaller ones)




  • Wreath Frame (24 in.)



The first thing you need to do is plug in your glue gun and make sure you have plenty of sticks I think I used 4.

Then set out opening all your medium/ large ornaments so they are ready to go. And then selfie with them.


Once you are ready star popping the ornaments into the slots in the wire frame to get them spaced and in an order you like. Some of these were really easy to pop in and them stay others were not so simple but the ones that wouldn't stay I waited and placed last right before I glued.

I did sort of an alternating pattern with the different types of reds then added in the silver every 3 or 4 in my "clumps"
I was really glad I hadn't glued them down because towards the end of my supply I was very sparse on the last part of the wreath, I was able to move and adjust them to make it look better. 

Once you like how they are set gently turn it over and start gluing. 

gluing to the metal and the top on both sides 

All glued on 
Now you have your base of the wreath go in in glue on the smaller ones and any others that you want on. I started by filling the space by gluing a small ball on top of the two larger ones almost pyramid style. Then as I went around I stuck them on any other exposed frame that needed to be covered.


I went with a mostly alternating shiny and sparkly 
that's it, its simple and doesn't really take to much time I did this in about an hour.



   I thought about adding a bow or something to add to it but once I got it hung on the door I loved it the way it was.

  My dollar store only has so many color options but I have seen that Target has some similar tubes for only a couple dollars as well that would keep the cost down.

   Have you made an ornament wreath before? Any other tips or tricks you have? Instead of buying one for anywhere from 30-60 just make your own it wont be too complicated.  Let me know if you make one I would love to see it! I can't wait to make some more!! Have a great weekend.

1 comment: