Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Chocolate Chip Cookies without Butter

   Everyone has been there, you want to make a batch of cookies and you realize you don’t have butter, or in my case you forget to buy the butter when getting the chocolate chips. I had to hit the ever-faithful Google to find what could take its place. I ended up using oil, and they turned out delicious.



   I always alter the package recipe by reducing the amount of butter, I use 1 stick instead of 2. This is because I read that less butter makes them fluffier, Hubby likes to dunk his in milk so I have always made them this way for him.  So for this recipe I used ½ a cup of oil so that it would be equal.

   For these I also switched it up and used a tip from Handle the Heat, and used ¼ tsp of both baking soda and baking powder. She said that this combination was her favorite and caused a good spread with a crisp edge and chewy center. Sounded perfect, mine did not spread as much as hers did, but I believe that this was due to the lesser oil amount.

Here is how I made them.


Ingredients:
2 1/4 cup flour 
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
1/2 bag of chocolate chips


1. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. The sifting most likely played a part in how cakey these turned out.


2. Cream oil, brown and white sugar, and vanilla together.  Pouring vanilla over the brown sugar has always been fun for me, watching as it dissolves. This doesn’t get as creamy as butter does, but make sure they are mixed together.


3. Add in 2 eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one. Now it starts to look good and creamy.

 (don't have this picture because sometimes flour goes everywhere and I forget to take one) 

4. Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix well. Scrape down edges add the next third and repeat until all flour is well incorporated.


5. Add in chocolate chips and mix for a couple seconds to distribute evenly. I only used half a bag this time because our cookie bar recipe only uses half and seems to be enough. Most cookies had a few chips so it worked well.



6. Drop about a tablespoon full onto a greased or lined cookie sheet.  I got 30 out of this batch. Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes.  *Note this dough is quite thick, I added a bit more oil to loosen it up but it was still thick.*






No comments:

Post a Comment