Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Bake

      As I mentioned last week we are working on eating a good healthy breakfast each morning and it’s much easier if it is already ready to go. A couple weeks ago we had these breakfast burritos, and last week we tried an oatmeal bake with fruit. 


Clean Eating Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Bake. Great make ahead breakfast. Gluten free.

   The recipe can be changed up with any fruits and berries that you want. You could even mix up the spices if you have a favorite other than cinnamon, or use honey instead of maple syrup. Make them your own, that is what makes cooking fun!

   These are clean eating friendly, and great to make ahead for the entire week.

Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Bake

Ingredients:
2 cups Old Fashioned Oats ( I used quick oats)
3/4 Cup Maple Syrup
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 Cup Strawberries sliced
2 Cups milk
1 large egg
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
1 Bannana, peeled and sliced

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl combine the oats, syrup, cinnamon, baking powder and half the strawberries. Mix well.

In another bowl combine the milk, egg and vanilla. Stir until the egg and vanilla are totally beaten in.

Spray a brownie pan with cooking spray. Spread the oatmeal mixture out evenly in the pan.


Clean Eating Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Bake. Great make ahead breakfast. Gluten Free.
Just the oatmeal mixture.
Now pour the milk mixture evenly on top. Let it soak in some so that it doesn’t have all the liquid on top.

Top it with the remaining strawberry slices and banana slices and bake for 35-40 minutes and enjoy the amazing smell.


Clean Eating Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Bake. Great make ahead breakfast. Gluten Free.
Baked and cooling
Let cool until room temp or lower, cut into bars and then cover and place in refrigerator. When ready to eat take one bar and place in microwave for 30-40 seconds.

Notes:
I am not the biggest oatmeal fan but wanted to give it a try. Overall I did like these bars, I did though find them a bit tastier when I added some more cinnamon to the top of the bar right before warming it up. I think I will try to bake these into hard oatmeal bars sometime by just not adding the liquid mixture, and baking to make crunchy bars.

I would love to hear your opinion of oatmeal, eat it a lot or not so much? What would you add in your bake?

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a good idea. I would definitely work with steel cut oats, however, since the nutritional value is greater. I'd just have to play with the recipe a bit. I make overnight steel cut oats all of this time. Guess I should post about that, huh? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the original one I found had steel cut but I bought the wrong ones and made it work. I was never a big oatmeal fan but I did really like these, I would love to see a post on your overnight ones :)

      Delete