Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Homemade Tortillas

   The other night we had tacos and as much as I love store tortillas I decided to try making my own.  I looked up a few different ways and found one that looked simple and pretty good. This is an incredibly easy to make recipe, with only 4 ingredients that you probably always have on hand.

2 cups of flour
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup water (warm)
3 tablespoons olive oil


   Combine flour and salt then make a little well in the middle and poor in water and oil. Then mix it up and kneed it 10-12 times.  Let rest about 10 minutes. 

it doesn't need to look smooth
like a bread dough, lumpy is fine
     
    Then divide it into 8 pieces. Roll them into balls. 

I didn't weigh them or anything I just divided
the ball in half and repeated with each half until I had 8

   Then put one onto a piece of non stick foil and started to stretch them out to about 7 inches. I tried to use a rolling pin with the dough between two pieces of foil and that didn’t work as well as using my hands.


   Once they are flattened out to the size you want, LEAVE them on the foil (pulling them off messes up the shape).  Warm up a skillet over medium high heat and place the tortilla still on the foil on it.


   After a minute there should be some brown spot s on the tortilla and the foil will pull off without messing up the shape, put the other side on for a minute. Be sure to keep them covered as you make the rest to prevent them from drying out.

Doesn't it look yummy!

   We made delicious tacos with these and Hubby loved them and said they were more filling. Now I must say the first few look funny and if they aren’t very even you’ll have chewier thick spots, but they still taste pretty good. When making them just for yourself and family they don’t have to look perfect, that is what I love about cooking. They probably won’t look perfect your first batch but with some practice they will look better, at least that’s what I told myself ;)


   Let me know if you give these a try. I would love to hear how yours turn out. Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm... I've never made homemade tortillas. They sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore homemade tortillas! I make loads of breads and cinnamon rolls and other baked goods but have only tried tortillas once, a long time ago. They turned out okay but very thick. I need to give it a go again, homemade anything is so much yummier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making homemade bread, something about kneading the dough relaxes me. I say give them a try again they are simple to mix and the thickness you just have to play with until you like it. I had one that I had left more like I would leave a pizza crust and that was not good.

      Delete
  3. How easy is that? I wonder if other types of flour would work to make them gluten free. I'm experimenting with reducing gluten in my diet so I'm on the lookout for stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete