Monday, August 18, 2014

Bathroom Makeover Part 1

   This is a post that will have a few follow ups because the bathrooms in this house really needs some help. When we were looking for a place to rent we were pretty picky and didn’t want an apartment, we thought we wanted a duplex, but then decided without looking that we wanted a townhouse owned by the same company. We signed the lease then went to look at our soon to be new townhome, it was great and the kitchen was big and the rooms were huge. The bathroom though, wow was tiny! The storage space was good though big shelves above the toilet, and space under the little vanity.

Look how big the shelf space is there are 3 shelves!
   The problem came when we had all our stuff on the first shelf to try and pick through when you need something. The high potential that something will fall into the toilet, and anyone who went in there would see all of our stuff which I just did not want. I put everything into two cloth bins, that did not work because we couldn't see what we were trying to get out. 
There was another one on the other side but I had already taken it out.

 So I set out on making a great plan on how to fix it. That looked something like this

I wanted a two drawer type container to hold all of our stuff.

 Then I went out and looked for the container to fit in the space. A 10 inch deep shelf is very shallow and the typical storage containers are not in that demission. As I walked around Tuesday Morning and Wal-Mart I came up with a better plan, it didn’t work either. So finally as I was about to give up for the day I walked by these lovely things at Wal-Mart (3 drawer small)
It was the perfect size finally!
   They were perfect, a little small, but they would hold the items we needed daily and have them in an organized manner. But then I still needed something to hold things like my hair dryer and extra make up and all my supplies. I wandered around some more and didn’t find any so for now I am using some cloth bins that I’ve had for a while and will do the job.  

   For under the sink I decided that just a 12 qt plastic container would work to hold some of the smaller items together and keep the first aid supplies in one spot.

Here are my before and after shots.



The bins before were such a mess.


                                          They look so much better!!



                                 The bucket helped make it more organized!

   Next on the to do list is to try pinterest tip and hang baskets in the shower to hold all of our shower supplies but I have yet to find the right kind of basket. And the guest bathroom needs some decorative love!

Hope this gives you an idea of how to make odd shaped shelves work in your bathroom. I will continue to fix this bathroom until it looks the way I imagine in my head, and will share it with all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment