Tuesday, December 16, 2014

DIY Ornament Garland

   I had been wanting to make something like this for a while now but hadn’t had the time. Well I made time last week to go to the dollar tree and make it happen.  Yes that’s right this is another Dollar Tree craft (mostly).   Remember I told you our decorations are red and silver this year so this is not any different and is nice and red.


What you’ll need.

5 Ornaments- I bought the red and silver mixed ones and just used the red ones. The selection at my store is way less than it was a few weeks ago.  You’ll want to cut the little ribbon they have on them to hang.  Depending on how long yours is you may need more or less.



A garland-I just got the skinny one at the store and looped it back and forth a few times at the length I needed to make it thicker.



Ribbon- I just had regular curling ribbon, in red.  

Lights- I had battery operated timed lights

These are cool little LED lights that make it where you just see the light
not the cord.
What to do.

Take the garland and make it as long as you need and loop back and forth. 

For the ribbon lengths I just took it and made a couple different lengths to have an up down effect. I did not measure or cut them all at once so they would be the same. I recommend you not doing it like it did and cutting all you will need at the lengths you want. That way you can have a real up down up down pattern instead of an almost like mine.

 Once you have them the way you want tie one end to the garland, knot it twice or it will slip. Then the other end to the ornament and let hang. Repeat until the garland is full, I made mine about thumb to middle finger length apart, didn’t measure that either haha.  Make them hang in a pattern you like or have them all the same length.



Wrap your lights around the garland. And turn on whenever you want them to come on. I set mine to fading and the timer last for 6 hours.


You can't even see the string now just a bit of the lights, they are tricky to see
if it is very bright in the room.
You could add some deco mesh to it to give it some volume, I started to but as I worked with it I didn’t really like the look of it. It may work with a garland that is made thicker and has a little more to work with.


This did not take long at all maybe 30 minutes, mainly fussing with the ribbon on my part to get it the lengths it needed to be. I like it a lot it adds some extra Christmas to our entry way.  It does however create this evil like glow at the bottom of the stairs in the dark. 


If nothing else I hope this inspires you to do some crafts before Christmas and hang them around your house and enjoy them. There is no need to go out and buy something like this for crazy amounts of money when you can do this for about $6! Plus its more fun to make decorations then to buy them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment