Friday, March 20, 2015

Time for Spring Cleaning and a Checklist

 
Spring Cleaning tips and ideas with a check list

   Well it is the first day of spring today and we have finally had some very pretty days this last week, its that time of the year where you clean out your house. Why it was decided that spring needed to have a good clean out day I’m not sure but this weekend I am taking on the challenge.

   I think the best approach is to take it one room at a time, and if you have as bad history of getting sidetracked as I do while cleaning, focus on one part of the room at a time. While I clean and organize I will also be getting rid of things I don’t need. I’m going to share with you my list and what I plan to do in each room.

Living Area:

Movies/Games/Cds – look through them and ask yourself.. Do I like it? Have I used it in the past 6 months? Will I want to play it again? Really? Is it sentimental? With movies this is a bit harder but unless I just won’t watch it again then I will keep it.

Side and coffee tables- Does each thing need to be here? Is there a better place it can go? Dust everything and make it look neat.

Dust, vacuum, and reorganize maybe.

Hallways and Stairs- any decorations need to be dusted. Vacuum/sweep the floors. Get any clutter where it needs to go.

Kitchen:

Table- Does everything need to be on here?  Can it go somewhere better?

Command Center- Can papers be filed away? Are all bill forms up to date? Update Calander, Clean off dry erase areas so they look new.

Pantry- Go through and check for expired foods and throw away. Organize, oldest to the front, items where you can find them. If you don’t think you will ever eat it put in a box to donate.  

Pots and Pans- Make that area look pretty and neat

Tuppaware/plastic container- these are the worst I know and they always end up a mess. Take the time to make them organized again and see how long it can stay that way.

Spice cabinet- Trash the ones that have big hard lumps. Decide if you’ll use that one way in the back that you forgot you had.

Small appliances- get them all out and wipe them down and make sure they are clean. Then put them back. Never going to use that waffle iron put in the box and let someone who wants it have it.

Oven and stove top- Take out the racks and let them soak and get the brunt on stuff off. Clean the inside of the oven with some good cleaner. I know I’m tired of the burned smell from that piece of cheese that feel off last month. Take the pieces off the stove and clean what you can. Wipe it down so that there is no sticky residue left. Don’t forget about the vent it gets greasy and gross too.

Cabinets- take everything off of them and give them a good scrub and disinfectant spray. Then set everything back up nice and neat. 

Floors- sweep, vacuum, then mop. If you’re feeling up to it get down and scrub the floor.

No wonder everyone hates cleaning the kitchen that is a lot to be done.

Bedrooms:

Closets/ dressers- with each item ask. Have I worn it in the last month? Do I want to keep it? Will I wear it in the next month? If you answered no to those then you need to donate it. Winter items take out of your closet and make room for your spring clothes.

Night stands- de clutter, if you don’t use it you don’t need it. Could it go somewhere better? Organize and make it where you wouldn’t mind someone coming in to see what the room looks like.

Wash sheets

Vacuum floor

Dust decorations and things sitting out.

Bathrooms:

Yuck I know but it has to be done. Really on a weekly basis, but today we are getting down and dirty with it.

Under the sink-declutter throw out old things that you haven’t used in 6 months.

All your toiletries- get rid of the old stuff, the extra tooth paste that is pretty much gone, it can go. Organize make them where you can get what you need daily easy and the rest behind them so you can find it when you need it.

Makeup- if its older than 4 months toss it out!! The almost gone eye shadow and blush, it really is time to let it go. If you aren’t using it and probably won’t get it out. I know for me I keep all of my mascaras after they are too empty to use, I need to throw all of them away.

Sink- give it a good scrub and make it shine again

Toilet- be sure to get it at the bottom around the floor.

Tub- Clean under all the bottles sitting on the sides. Spray down the sides with a shower cleaner. Clean the bottom of the tub with hot water and your choice of cleaner, I like Comet.

Floors- sweep, then mop, and scrub. Get all that hairspray off the ground, get the hairs that somehow keep reappearing up. Its not fun but it feels so nice later to walk in barefoot and the floor be sparkly clean.

Mirrors- Windex to make them shiny.


Here is a copy of my checklist.
Spring Cleaning checklist, click for tips and ideas

4 comments:

  1. This is a very motivational post, and I love checklists. Maybe the spring sunshine with give me the energy to get started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found it motivational! The sunshine will be out soon I'm sure of it!

      Delete
  2. This is just an amazing post! You reminded me of some places that I need to clean ASAP. It's great that you shared your checklist too. I would like to print it for myself. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wearing eye protection will be very important when you are going to operate this machine. Safety gloves that are durable will also be important to keeping you safe. Make sure that all attachments and nozzles are attached tightly in place so they will not come lose when the washer is running.
    learn more

    ReplyDelete