Friday, December 4, 2015

DIY Garland Tutorial

   I showed my Christmas decorations earlier this week and it included this lovely garland. I am so happy with it and it was amazing how easy it was. I also made one to go around the post by the front door. Here is how I made them.




What you need:
Garland from WalMart or Hobby Lobby, Mine are 9'
Lights
Ribbon or Deco-mesh
Decorations (  I used little bows, big bulb ornaments)

The garland I had was bent up from being at the store so the first thing I did was straighten it out.

Add the Lights. Note: Do not straighten the lights then try to wrap them. You want them to still be in a small bunch. This part was tricky for me at first.
Start at one end and leave a little of the cord out so you have room to plug it in. Then take the cord wrap it around the garland and continue until you get to the end. (Note: I used garland lights for these so it would be bright and covered well.)
The inside garland has the mini battery operated LED lights like the red garland I made last year( link at the end of post). I just looped them around the top to add some extra light.

Add the Ribbon. Once the lights are on and they are spaced the way you want them it is time for some ribbon. For the inside garland, I used just a regular wired ribbon and looped it around just like the lights and tied it a bit to the ends to make it stay on.
For the outside garland, I used deco mesh. I did this so that it would look a bit fuller from a distance, and I think it will stand up better in the weather. I worked it like I would if I was making a wreath. I would loop it around then tie it off using the garland branches to keep it fluffier.


Add the Decorations. That makes up the base of your garland now it is time to add some accents. The inside garland I placed around the frame, it was going on, so I would know where the corners would be and taped them. Once it was laid back out I attached little bows from Hobby Lobby that have twist ties on them. I added the ornaments so that they would hang from the top and sit on the sides evenly. I had little hooks for the top ones and the side ones I just used pipe cleaners to tie them on.
For the outside garland I made some bows using deco mesh, that will be attached when it is wrapped around the pole. I didn't put them on now so that I could center them once it is up. I added in the other bows that I had left over from the inside one just to give it a bit more color.


We haven't got the outside of the house done yet due to weather, as soon as we do I will add the finished outside garland hung,

Click the picture to see how to make this version I did last year.




1 comment:

  1. Wow amazing and romantic ideas, loved all the ideas. Thanks for sharing here with us, keep updating with new more.

    ReplyDelete