Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Thanksgiving Dessert- Apple Pie


   When you think of Thanksgiving, of course, you think turkey and stuffing, but right after that most people think pie. There are three that are almost always at our gatherings, pumpkin, apple and pecan. What would Thanksgiving be without them?  

   The last few years I have made apple pie for one of our families mealand I realized that I haven't shared with you the wonderfulness of this pie! So today is the day I share my pie secrets! 
Ingredients: 
Pie crust- I don't like pre-made ones, so I buy the box of pie dough mix. 
6 medium tart apples- peeled and thinly sliced (granny smith) 
¾ cup sugar 
¾ tsp cinnamon 
¼ tsp salt 
1/8 (little sprinkle) of nutmeg 
2 tbsp flour 
1 tbsp lemon juice 
2 tbsp of butter 
Directions: 
  • After peeling and slicing the apples place them in a bowl. In a small bowl combine everything except lemon juice and apples. Make sure the mixture is well combined.  
  • Pour juice over apples and stir to coat. Then sprinkle the sugar mixture over the apples tossing to coat. I do it in two or three batches.  
  • Roll out your bottom dough and place in pie dish. It should hang over the edges slightly. Take the second sheet and roll out flat on the counter. Take cookie cutter or knife and cut shapes that you want on top of the pie. I used a small leaf cutter and cut a bunch of little leaves out to cover my pie.  
  • Once you have the shapes all done pour all your apples into the pie dish. Add in all the juice from the bottom of the bowl too. (if you forget it then the pie comes out very dry) Cut the 2 tbsp of butter into four or six pats and place around the top of the pie. Then cover with the shapes. 
  • Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes, reduce temp to 375°F for 40 minutes. The filling should be bubbly and the crust golden.   
  • When done, let it cool completely before slicing, at least a couple hours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment