Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

EASY soup recipe. Roast butternut squash simmer with seasonings and chicken stock. Blend, add cream and you're ready to go. #fall #soup #recipe

   I love summer so much, but it has a lack of some foods that I love. Soups, stews and chilis are some that I miss the most in those hot months. Thankfully it is just about the right temperature to eat them again. Fall started last week so even though it's a bit warm still I am jumping in with decorations and this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup.
   Last year I went to a little dinner party that we dubbed Dinner with the Doc, I wrote about it here, we had this amazing soup and finally I got around to making it. I’m so glad this is what I get to have for lunch this week and don’t have to share.

EASY soup recipe. Roast butternut squash simmer with seasonings and chicken stock. Blend, add cream and you're ready to go. #fall #soup #recipe
Cast of Ingredients: Ginger, Honey, Chicken Stock (Homemade is best!) Not Pictured: Squash and White Pepper.

EASY soup recipe. Roast butternut squash simmer with seasonings and chicken stock. Blend, add cream and you're ready to go. #fall #soup #recipe
Squash nicely roasted.

EASY soup recipe. Roast butternut squash simmer with seasonings and chicken stock. Blend, add cream and you're ready to go. #fall #soup #recipe
Finally got to a simmer. Note- if your stock was frozen thaw and then heat before adding to the squash.

I halved the recipe because that’s all the squash I bought.

Ingredients:
  • 6 cups butternut squash seeded 2-inch wide chunks-( I bought the pre-cut cubes from Wal-Mart they were about ½ inch cubes and I had 3 cups)
  • 1 Tbsp salt
  • 1 tsp white pepper
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 4 Tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp minced ginger (1/2 tsp ground ginger)
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg

 Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 400°F
  2. Toss cubes with a drizzle of oil, salt and white pepper. Lay squash out on a sheet pan and roast for 30-35 minutes until soft.
  3. Put squash into a pot add stock, honey and ginger. Bring to a simmer and puree using a blender. (If you are doing half recipe use a big blender instead of stick blender.)
  4. Add in heavy cream and return to a low simmer season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. 
Serve it up and garnish with a bit of parsley and it is ready to go. A good idea would be toast some bread to go along as well. I am so glad that it is the right weather for soups, I didn't realize how much I missed them. 

EASY soup recipe. Roast butternut squash simmer with seasonings and chicken stock. Blend, add cream and you're ready to go. #fall #soup #recipe

What soups or cooler weather foods are you looking forward to?


1 comment:

  1. I love butternut squash soup - this recipe is one I will try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete