Monday, September 7, 2015

Married Monday Review: A Woman After God’s Own Heart by Elizabeth George


   I have read this book a couple of times and I love it. It is just a great insight into what a woman’s heart should look like. The book is broken up into 4 parts: The Pursuit of God, The Pursuit of God’s Priorities, The Practice of God’s Priorities, and In Praise of God’s Priorities.  It is organized and laid out very well.

   When reading this book I feel calmer and centered in how I should be behaving. I would think by now it would be easy to behave like a Christian wife and like the Proverbs 31 Woman that I write about again and again, but it is not. Sometimes I lose those priorities, they get lost in my wants and what I think is best.  Reading this book regularly helps keep me on track and brings me back to why I set these goals for myself.
   
   Each section has great information; part 2 seems to be the most useful for me. The Pursuit of God’s Priorities, it lays out his priorities that you need to have and there are some examples on how to put them into practice. It is broken down into further sections; the priorities for your husband, children, home, self and ministry.

   I love that Elizabeth George has made this book for all women. Even if you are single or not a mom this book will prepare your heart for that time in your life. It outlines in a way the role a woman plays in her home and how her heart should reflect God. The book breaks down the attitude that should be in your heart towards all aspects of your life.
   
   Here is a quote that I like to remember. Put into practice asking your husband this and it has the potential to change your marriage.

   “As woman after God’s heart we need to cultivate a servant spirit, this helps us to be more like Christ as we esteem others.. especially those who are married, you are on an assignment from God to help your husband, and you can achieve this by asking your husband every day, ”What can l do for you today?” As woman after God’s heart, your husband is to be number one in your life (after God) and he needs to know it and everybody else needs to know it too. As a mother, you are the number one influence in your children’s lives. Your husband and children are to take priority over all other human relationships and responsibilities. Don’t give away to others what you have not first given at home.”

    I give this book 5 stars and would recommend it to every woman. Elizabeth George also has “A Wife After God’s Own Heart” that I have not read yet, but it is on my list. 

   Have you read this or a book similar?  I would love to hear what you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment