Friday, June 26, 2015

Happy Birthday Austin

   Today is the birthday of someone who meant a lot to me. You see I wasn't sure where I fit when I got to high school. The first semester I spent my time studying and being a good student. I was in my Ag classes and loved them and started to meet some wonderful people. By the second semester I was very involved in FFA competitions and teams. One of those wonderful people was kind enough to give me confidence in myself that I had never had. He told me that I could do it when I was scared to death to speak in public, he told me when I needed to suck it up and remember what we had practiced so many times.


   I had only known him for about 6 or so months, but we had become inseparable and the best of friends. We were on 3 judging teams together, so that pretty much equals any spare time we had was spent practicing down in the ag room. It was a blast and the start of my high school life that I loved. He always had something funny to say. Some of my favorite quotes are from him. One time we went to Braums before practice and he said he wanted Rocky Road, because you never know what your gonna get, it may be marshmallowy or nutty. ....Ok so it doesn't sound as funny when I type it out but trust me when you're 15 its pretty stinking funny!

   But in February that year, for probably the first time my world came to a crashing halt. After a day of competing judging poultry, doing something he loved, my friends heart just stopped. God said it was time for him to go home. Not knowing though the next morning I called him two or three times trying to figure out why he wasn't at practice. Then just a few short hours later we as an FFA group were told that he was gone. I remember it all so clearly, my teachers knowing we were close held be as we cried, I watched as the boys in our group, the strong ones had tears in their eyes as they hugged the girls, I didn't even know how to react, and the tears just came. I remember the viewing and the funeral so clearly and vividly and how I stood over him, Handsome and 15 with his hair done in his favorite way, in his blue jacket and I didn't understand how this could have happened.

   When we had the option to not compete in the competitions he loved because it was hard, we said no, that we wanted to do it. Do it for him. And we did we kicked some butt that year. Because of him the rest of my FFA and high school career I worked hard at those judging practices, and I fell in love with food science. Because of his death, I had a bond with the people and teachers in FFA, we were a family that had been through multiple hurts together and leaned on each other for strength.

   Food science then became my major, aka the only reason I went to college. While in college, an experience my friend never got to have, I had times that I realized that because of him I had found what I loved in life. His friendship started a direction in my life that I truly believe I would not have found as quickly or easily, or possibly never at all with out him.

   So here's to you Austin. Happy Birthday I know you are having the best party up there with all the angles and your Lord!! Thank you for your friendship and goofiness I love you and miss you still to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment