Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Roasted Vegetables

  My latest love in the kitchen has been roasting, especially vegetables. Roasting brings out a whole new flavor to the vegetables, many that I would not eat any other way.

   I have been roasting vegetables on Sundays to use for my lunches throughout the week.  It is an easy tasty way to eat healthier at lunch. I have used a variety of different types; my most common are turnips, potatoes, onions, carrots, bell peppers, and sweet potatoes. 

Roasted Vegetables. Easy steps on roasting root vegetables!



Steps for Roasting Vegetables:

1. I take some olive oil about ½ an ounce, and add in some salt, pepper, and all-purpose Greek seasoning. Then toss until everything is covered. 

2. Pour out onto a lightly greased baking sheet and roast at 450°F for about 30 minutes. The time will vary depending on what you are using but that is my general starting point. Check them around 15 minutes to see how dark they are getting and if they need to stirred.

Roasted Vegetables. Easy steps on roasting root vegetables!


 For this batch I cut 4 small turnips, 2 small sweet potatoes into small dice, added a 16 oz bag of baby carrots. I then cut one medium white onion into wedges and a green bell pepper into strips.  .5 ounces of olive oil and about a teaspoon each of the seasonings, listed above.

Diced Sweet Potatoes..These look bigger then they were.

Diced Turnips

Roasted Vegetables. Easy steps on roasting root vegetables!
Add a bag of carrots season, and pour onto a cookie sheet.

Wedged onions and sliced bell peppers. Coat in olive oil a bit of salt and pepper. 

Roasted Vegetables. Easy steps on roasting root vegetables!
Finished onions and peppers. I think I found a new way to cook fajita vegetables!
   I have done some different things with sweet potatoes as well. I have done them as discussed above but I also tried adding some flavors to them. I did one batch of fries with brown sugar and cinnamon to add sweetness to them. I also just used a bit of cinnamon as well to enhance the flavor.  I don’t know why I never liked these before!

Roasted Vegetables. Easy steps on roasting root vegetables!
These sweet potatoes have cinnamon on them! Yumm
   I also do a great green beans with garlic that are roasted and so good but have managed somehow to not share them with all of you yet! They will be coming soon.

I would love to hear from you, do you like roasted vegetables? What is your favorite thing to roast? Answer in the comments. 



No comments:

Post a Comment